The elaborate tiered cast iron fountain by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi, sculptor of the Statue of Liberty, has graced the grounds of the Botanic Garden since 1878. It was purchased by the federal government for $6,000 after being exhibited to great…

The Jesse Reno School was built in 1903 for African American children. Designed by municipal architect Snowden Ashford, the school had four rooms on the first floor and four on the basement level. Its formal Renaissance-style design acknowledges the…

The Sheridan complex includes the Sheridan Theater and eight associated brick storefronts. The northern end of the complex is a storefront at 6221 (formerly 6219) Georgia Ave. This storefront is one story tall, with a center entrance. Although a 1936…

Beginning in 1956 when he opened Billy Simpson's House of Seafood and Steaks, William W. "Billy" Simpson met a demand for a fine dining venue for Washington's black middle and upper classes, and in doing so, created a meeting place for the African…

Designed in the Italian Renaissance style by the locally significant architect Luther Leisenring and his partner Charles Gregg, the firehouse became an established landmark in the local neighborhood of Petworth. As the first fully-motorized fire…

Named for Benjamin Banneker, the black surveyor who worked with Andrew Ellicott in surveying the District of Columbia, it was the premier black recreation center in the period during which municipal facilities in the district were segregated.…

As there are no farms remaining in the District of Columbia and only a handful of agricultural outbuildings left, the Scheele-Brown Farmhouse represents its own vanished small farm, and by extension, the others that have been lost. It also represents…

Until 1874, the gateposts stood at the foot of the west capitol grounds, but in that year were moved to their present locations. The gateposts are sand stone pillars measuring 5' x 5' at the base and approximately 12' in height. The design of the…

The plan of this apartment complex consists of two U-shaped structures which join to form the lobby and entrance creating the overall effect similar to an E-shaped plan, which breaks at the central bar in the E forming a welcoming courtyard entrance…

The 3-acre Kalorama Park contains the Kalorama Playground Archaeological Site, also known as the John Little House. The site represents the remains of John Little’s home and farm and is the place from which slave Hortense Prout attempted escape…