The low, neoclassical bridge is 2,163 feet long and 90 feet between balustrades, carrying a 60- foot-wide roadway and 15-foot sidewalks. Nine broad arches cross the river; roadways pass through additional segmental-arched openings at either end.…

The row house at 1318 Vermont Avenue, NW, attained its prestige as the headquarters of the National Council of Negro Women (NCNW) as as the Washington residence of Mary McLeod Bethune, the educator and civil rights leader. Constructed in 1875, the…

The Denrike Building is an 11-story office building designed by architect Appleton P. Clark, Jr. in a Tudor Gothic Revial style and built in 1925-26. Located just north of McPherson Square in what was historically considered the northern limit of the…

The Pierce Springhouse is located in Rock Creek Park on the green median strip between the dual lanes of heavily used Tilden Street, N.W. The Springhouse is constructed of blue granite that was quarried locally at a nearby Broad Branch Quarry. The…

Double wooden house built c. 1800 on property owned by Robert Peter, Scottish immigrant, one of Georgetown's first commissioners, and first Mayor in 1789); probably oldest house in Georgetown waterfront area; gable-end facade, pegged wood…

The building as it now appears is the work of architect John Russell Pope. Although a few interior alterations have been made during the 47-year period since the house was converted from residential to business use, an effort has been made to…

Built-in 1824 for Dr. Joseph Lovell, first Surgeon General of the United States who organized the Army Corps of Engineers, this National Historic Landmark serves as the official guest house of the President of the United States. In 1836, Francis…

It is bounded by North Capitol Street on the east, Harwood Road to the northeast, Rock Creek Church Road on the northwest, Park Place to the west, and Irving Street on the South. The Eagle Gate at the intersection of Rock Creek Church Road and Upshur…

Brooks Mansion is located near the center of Square 3827, a flat, approximately i 3/4 acre site bounded by 9th, 10th, Monroe and Newton Streets, N.E. It is composed of the original Greek Revival mansion house, Bellair, built by Ann and Jehiel Brooks…