The Evans-Tibbs house is located at 1910 Vermont Avenue, N.W. near the northeast corner of the intersection of Vermont Avenue and Tenth Street, N.W. The house was constructed in 1894-1895 by Richard E. Crump. The structure's simplified Victorian…

The Belmont House is interesting as an example of sequential architectural development coincident with the growth and settlement of Washington, D.C.--from the vernacular colonial farmhouse, built for function rather than style, through the Georgian,…

William Syphax was born in 1825 to Charles Syphax and Maria Carter. Charles, Syphax’s father, was enslaved by a man named George Washington Parke Custis, grandson and adopted son of George and Martha Washington. Maria, Syphax’s mother, was also…

Mary Church Terrell was born in Memphis, Tennessee on September 23, 1863. She earned her Bachelors and Masters degrees at Oberlin College during the 1880s, and taught in Ohio and Washington, DC. Following the completion of her graduate degree, Mary…

Emory Methodist Church, located at 6100 Georgia Avenue NW, is a granite Classical Revival style church with terra cotta trim featuring a classically-accented portico supported by four massive Doric columns. Prominently situated atop a hill, the…

Originally known as Kober Court and Sternberg Court, the eight-building multi-unit complexes were built in 1937 and 1939 by the Washington Sanitary Improvement and Washington Sanitary Housing companies, which built model housing in the District…

The Lexington Apartments is located at 1114 F Street, N.E. The Classical-Revival building is one of the earlier apartments by the prolific residential architect George Santmyers. Completed in 1928, the Lexington Apartments is historically significant…

By the 1930s, the building housed 500 employees who produced millions of mail sacks and hundreds of thousands of locks each year, designed and patented various pieces of equipment. and annually cleaned and repaired as many as five million mail sacks.…

This business model, initially disdained as disrespectful to the deceased, was adopted by most cemeteries of the late nineteenth century and through the present. Glenwood was laid out by engineer Georges de la Roche. whose landscaping and curving…

The playground, established in 1922, was designated for the archaeologically documented evidence of prehistoric Indian occupation over thousands of years, and for its significance as a 1930s park design, produced by the National Park Service with…