Andrew Jackson Downing, designer of a romantic vision of the National Mall (not implemented) and the most romantic figure of nineteenth-century American design, wrote in 1850 of the need for truth in domestic architecture, that a country home reflect…

Washington Bowie, merchant, real estate speculator, church vestryman, officer of the militia bank, director and one of Georgetown's wealthiest men in the first decades of the 19th century, built for himself and his large family a suitably monumental…

These villas are of brick and are to be painted some warm mellow tint and sanded. The walls are open, with a 3-inch air space from the bottom of the cellar to their tops, thus securing a dry house in wet weather, and warm one in cold weather and cool…

A federal period house, with a unique, early twentieth century first floor plan, the Bodisco House is included in virtually every book on Georgetown because of the mid-nineteenth century romance and marriage of its fifty-four year old owner, the…

Holy Trinity Church was established in 1787 at which is now 3513 N Street NW. It was originally called "Georgetown Chapel" because of the uncertainty of the laws against erecting Catholic churches. It was founded by Archbishop John Carroll, the first…

The Haw House was built in 1816-1817, and, like its next door neighbor at 2806, it reflects the typical Georgetown style of building. The facade is three bays wide with red brick laid in Flemish bond. It has a vertical emphasis which results from the…

The address locations of 3208-3210 M Street NW have a varied past. The earliest parts of this renovated building date from its incarnation as a branch of the Bank of Columbia, operating from 1796 till 1806. Later occupants include the Bureau of…

Built in 1765 in the British colony of Maryland, the house was already 59 years old when the British invaded Washington, D.C. in 1814. Although it is preserved for its architecture today, it was originally preserved through a case of mistaken…

Bomford constructed the first mill on this site probably in 1832. It was a flour mill. However, it burned down in September 1844. The following year, rather than rebuild a flour mill, Bomford built a cotton factory. There are slightly conflicting…

Georgetown University's Greek revival astronomical observatory is located on a knoll in the southwest corner of the campus, south of Kehoe Field and north of McDonough Memorial Gym. The observatory is the third oldest in the United States. It was…