Home of the nation's first African-American chapter of the Young Men's Christian Association, founded in 1853 by educator, religious leader, and formerly enslaved Anthony Bowen (1809-71) to provide educational, social, and recreational services to…

Chartered by Congress as a social club for the spouses of Senators, Representatives, Cabinet members, and Supreme Court Justices, the Congressional Club is a distinctive wedge-shaped classical building with a prominent domed rotunda at its apex on…

This building led the way for U Street to become the main street for black Washington; built in 1902-03 by the United Order of True Reformers, a Richmond-based benevolent society formed in 1881 by the formerly enslaved Rev. William Washington Browne.…

The Southern Aid Society/Dunbar Theater Building, designed in 1919 by noted Black architect Isaiah T. Hatton, served as the Washington headquarters for the Southern Aid Society, the oldest Black life insurance company in the country. The Dunbar…

Home of first African-American Masonic order in the south, Prince Hall Masonic Temple is an excellent example of classical institutional architecture. It was designed by Albert I. Cassell, a prominent black architect who made an important…

The Northumberland Apartments, designed by Albert H, Beers and built in 1909-10, by Harry Wardman, occupies a significant lot on New Hampshire Avenue, N.W. The irregular shape of the lot, created by the intersection of this major diagonal avenue and…

The two main buildings face north on Florida Avenue. The third structure faces the alley behind 1326 Florida Avenue. The significant architectural character of this group of buildings is defined by the front facades of the two major buildings.…

The Lincoln Theater is a rare surviving early movie theater, which survives as a major element of the historic U Street commercial corridor within the Shaw neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The Lincoln was completed in 1921 in the sumptuous style of…

Home of influential congregation which traces its beginnings from the Lincoln Industrial Mission (an educational and social aid mission built on this site in 1868-1869) and Park Temple Congregational Church, Lincoln Congregational Temple United…

Designed by architect J. Edward Storck and built in 1910, the Howard can be described as a simple, rectangular brick building with a stuccoed "boomtown" facade and a wooden marquee. The front facade is very plain, broken only at street level for the…