The house was commissioned by Emily Eames MacVeagh as a gift to her husband, Franklin MacVeagh, a Chicago businessman who was then Secretary of the Treasury under President Taft. Emily MacVeagh purchased the land from visionary developer Mary Foote…

Benjamin Warder commissioned the firm of H.H. Richardson in 1885 to design the house at 1509 K Street NW. The massing, the fenestration, and the use of arches are characteristic of Richardsonian Romanesque. The house was razed in 1923 and the…

Architect Horace W. Peaslee designed much of Meridian Hill Park based off of the earlier designs of his mentor, George Burnap. The Italianate vision for the park underwent multiple changes due to budget constraints yet was ultimately completed upon…

Designed by architect William Harris, Park Tower was built in 1928-1929. The building is among the city's finest pre-International style modern buildings and is prominently sited opposite Meridian Hill Park. Park Tower serves as a superb example of…

This building was a part of infamous Mrs. Henderson's plan to beautify the Meridian Hill area and Sixteenth Street. She commissioned renowned architect George Oakley Totten, Jr. to design this building which was constructed in 1927. Intended as an…

Designed by Egerton Swartwout of New York City in 1924 and dedicated in 1933, National Baptist Memorial Church is a memorial to Roger Williams and the ideal of religious liberty. Although the congregation was organized in 1906, the church grew to…

Meridian House is located at 1630 Crescent Place, west of 16th Street off Meridian Hill Park. It is located to the east of the White-Meyer House and faces north on Crescent Place; the property extends west to 17th Street and south to Belmont Place.…

Meridian Hall was commissioned by Mary Foote Henderson to be used as an embassy. Mrs. Henderson was the guiding force behind the development of Sixteenth Street and the Meridian Hill area as an enclave of embassies and mansions. She advocated for the…

Mary Foote Henderson, interested in developing embassies along Sixteenth Street, succeeded in attracting a few foreign governments to the area. The Embassy of Italy, built in 1924-1925 on land the Italian government purchased from Mrs. Henderson, is…