The Editors Building is a ten-story office building constructed in downtown D.C. in 1949-1950 to house the offices of the family-owned and operated Kiplinger Washington Editors, Inc., publisher of subscription-based business and finance periodicals,…

The Church of the Epiphany, an unpretentious Gothic Revival style structure, is located at 1317 G Street, N.W. The main' entrance of the church faces south on G Street. The church plus an addition to the rear containing the parish hall, offices,…

The E Street Campus, whose address is often given as 2430 E Street NW, is located west of Twenty-Third Street NW and immediately south of E Street NW on the northwest slope of Navy Hill in Washington, DC. It now consists of the Central, East, and…

The District of Columbia Court of Appeals (now United States Court of Military Appeals) is a remarkably early example of revived (20th century) Greek Revival architecture, Elliott Woods (1865-1923), who was Architect of the Capitol from 1902 until…

The District of Columbia Government’s Recorder of Deeds (ROD) Building expresses the interplay between political aspirations, social struggle, the search for civic identity, and even the influence of global war on the District of…

This was the first building constructed according to plans developed during the 1920s for a civic center between Judiciary Square and Pennsylvania Avenue. The building was designed by municipal architect Nathan C. Wyeth and constructed with the aid…

Located on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River, Healy Hall is the main symbol of Georgetown University. Construction began in November 1877 and was largely finished by 1879. The building was named after Reverend Patrick Healy (1783-1882), the first…

Home of the nation's first African-American chapter of the Young Men's Christian Association, founded in 1853 by educator, religious leader, and formerly enslaved Anthony Bowen (1809-71) to provide educational, social, and recreational services to…

Three years after introducing the telephone to England and France in 1877, Bell received the Volta Prize of 50,000 francs from the French Government for his invention of the electric speaking telephone. Bell used this money to found the Volta…

City's oldest extant firehouse, built in 1844 for the Vigilant Fire Company (organized 1817); in operation until 1883; gable-end facade with cupola, V-shaped tie rod anchor, stone markers including memorial to Bush the Old Fire Dog (1869) Built on…