Emory Methodist Church, located at 6100 Georgia Avenue NW, is a granite Classical Revival style church with terra cotta trim featuring a classically-accented portico supported by four massive Doric columns. Prominently situated atop a hill, the…

Originally known as Kober Court and Sternberg Court, the eight-building multi-unit complexes were built in 1937 and 1939 by the Washington Sanitary Improvement and Washington Sanitary Housing companies, which built model housing in the District…

By the 1930s, the building housed 500 employees who produced millions of mail sacks and hundreds of thousands of locks each year, designed and patented various pieces of equipment. and annually cleaned and repaired as many as five million mail sacks.…

The 38.6-acre campus includes twenty contributing resources. Of these resources, sixteen are buildings, generally brick with Georgian Revival or simple Colonial Revival detailing. Six of the contributing buildings date to the period between 1916 to…

Spingarn Senior High School, Browne Junior High School, Charles Young Elementary School, and Phelps Architecture, Construction and Engineering (formerly Vocational) High School are located on approximately 27.25 sloping acres of land overlooking the…

Grant Circle is a major urban and visual feature of the Petworth neighborhood, marking the intersection of Fifth and Varnum Streets and Illinois and New Hampshire Avenues, N.W. These parks are defined by a mix of hedges, lawns, and mature trees,…

The building features a V-shaped plan that responds to the acute angle of its lot—unusual in facing the intersection of Connecticut Avenue and Tilden Street. A small parking lot occupies the courtyard to the east of the building, while a six-story…

Located at 3400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, the Heurich-Parks House is a detached, two-story, compound-plan residence that was initially constructed in 1925, and is characteristic of both the Mission and Spanish Revival architectural styles. The house…

Arlington Memorial Bridge is a low, neo-classical bridge. Nine broad arches cross the river; roadways pass through additional segmental-arched openings at either end. Its related architectural, engineering sculptural, and landscape features are…

The row house at 1318 Vermont Avenue, NW, attained its prestige as the headquarters of the National Council of Negro Women (NCNW) and as the Washington residence of Mary McLeod Bethune, educator and civil rights leader. Constructed in 1875, the brick…