A federal period house, with a unique, early twentieth century first floor plan, the Bodisco House is included in virtually every book on Georgetown because of the mid-nineteenth century romance and marriage of its fifty-four year old owner, the…

It was one of the few buildings spared during urban renewal clearance in southwest in the late 1950's and early 1960's. At that time the houses attached to the east and west sides of the Lewis House were demolished. Today the early nineteenth century…

Holy Trinity Church was established in 1787 at which is now 3513 N Street NW. It was originally called "Georgetown Chapel" because of the uncertainty of the laws against erecting Catholic churches. It was founded by Archbishop John Carroll, the first…

The Haw House was built in 1816-1817, and, like its next door neighbor at 2806, it reflects the typical Georgetown style of building. The facade is three bays wide with red brick laid in Flemish bond. It has a vertical emphasis which results from the…

Fort Ricketts was constructed to protect the Maryland or eastern end of the two bridges crossing the Anacostia (at the Navy Yard and two and a half miles upstream at Benning's Bridge) and to occupy the heights above the Navy Yard and Washington…

The address locations of 3208-3210 M Street NW have a varied past. The earliest parts of this renovated building date from its incarnation as a branch of the Bank of Columbia, operating from 1796 till 1806. Later occupants include the Bureau of…

Built in 1765 in the British colony of Maryland, the house was already 59 years old when the British invaded Washington, D.C. in 1814. Although it is preserved for its architecture today, it was originally preserved through a case of mistaken…

A large bronze relief panel six feet by nine feet depicts life-sized figures of twelve nuns dressed in various habits. The panel is mounted on a granite monolith which rests on a granite base. At either end of the monolith are bronze figures. On the…

Second Empire architecture still visible in 1015-1017 (in its original form in 1015 though in poor condition, and somewhat modernized in 1017), and the fact that this cluster of houses remains as a memento of an earlier and now largely lost…

Milton Hall is also significant as the work of an innovative developer and a skilled architect. Developer Meadowbrook, under the direction of president Monroe Warren, was responsible for significant advances in affordable, middle class, and luxury…