Until 1874, the gateposts stood at the foot of the west capitol grounds, but in that year were moved to their present locations. The gateposts are sand stone pillars measuring 5' x 5' at the base and approximately 12' in height. The design of the…

The current Atlantic Building is a 10-story office structure completed in 2006, standing on a the same city block as the historic Ford's Theatre. The preserved facades of the turn of the century buildings previously occupying these lots form the face…

The District of Columbia Court of Appeals (now United States Court of Military Appeals) is a remarkably early example of revived (20th century) Greek Revival architecture, Elliott Woods (1865-1923), who was Architect of the Capitol from 1902 until…

The District of Columbia Government’s Recorder of Deeds (ROD) Building expresses the interplay between political aspirations, social struggle, the search for civic identity, and even the influence of global war on the District of…

Group of five related commercial buildings representative of the earliest development of F Street as the city's commercial core.The block was built after the completion of the large-scale municipal improvements undertaken by the Board of Public Works…

One of city's few remaining monumental Romanesque Revival buildings, prominently situated opposite Old Patent Office; home of city's first trust company, organized 1889 (Brainerd H. Warner, President), acquired by Riggs Bank 1954; one of city's first…

This ten-story theater and office building, originally known as The Earle and now currently known as the Warner Theatre, was designed in 1924 by noted theater architect C. Howard Crane and his New York partner Kenneth Franzheim. The building is…

This diminutive restaurant built in 1950 is virtually the last remaining example of the stylish mid-20th century commercial storefronts that were once common in downtown Washington. It was designed by Bernard Lyon Frishman Associates in a…

The U.S. Courthouse was one of the last buildings constructed in the Judiciary Square and Municipal center complex, which has been an important site for civic activity since the 1820s. Designed by nationally renowned architect, Louis Justement, the…

The Treasury building is the home of the federal government’s second department, established in 1789. The building was erected between 1836 and 1869, and is the work of five major American architects—Robert Mills, Thomas U. Walter, Ammi B.…