The columns sit atop a raised base with two sets of steps leading up to the floor level of the structure. It was designed with the dual purpose of being both a war memorial and a bandstand, and is large enough to accommodate an eighty-piece band.…

By 1900 the Zoo's size had increased to "about 170 acres" due to three successive additions on the park's southwestern edge bordering Cathedral Avenue. In fiscal 1921, the park acquired a long coveted 5-2/3 acre section of land in the present…

A remnant of the original line kilns was restored in 1967 by the National Park Service. The highest remaining segment of the walls stands approximately 16 to 18 feet high. Made of stone, the structure is shaped roughly as delineated below, with brick…

The Commission of Fine Arts had considered bridge designs for this site for years. Initially, designs were put forth by George Oakley Totten, Jr. and later by Paul Cret. The Commission finally settled on Cret's concrete bridge with dressed limestone…