Built in 1908-10, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals was designed by Elliot Woods (1865-1923), the Architect of the Capitol from 1902 until his death. The three-story hip-roofed building is executed in limestone with an Ionic portico facing E Street. The building was designed in a transitional late-Federal – Early Greek Revival style to accord with Washington City Hall of 1820 (now United Sates District Courthouse). A judicious restraint and fine sense of balance mark this judicial structure, one of the handsomest of its period among Government buildings. The building housed the D.C. Appellant Court until 1952, when, on November 1, it was turned over to the United States Court of Military Appeals.
National Register: January 21, 1974
DC Inventory: March 3, 1979