The Alexander Crummell School (1910-11) is located in the Ivy City neighborhood at the intersection of Central and Gallaudet Streets, N. E. on 108,138 sq. ft. trapezoidal lot 142/22 in Square 4042. It is a free-standing building with generous level open-space on all sides. It is sited facing southeast on Gallaudet Street on axis with Central Avenue. Concrete steps in two stages lead to the street entrance. There is a narrow grassy strip between the building and the street. Municipal Architect Snowden Ashford designed this building in 1910 in a personalized Renaissance style. The building was constructed in 1911 by Allan T. Howlson. The original cost of construction was $44,987.00. The cost of the land was $3,000.00 for a total cost of $47,987.00. As built in 1911 it was an early extensible six-classroom building. The second story at the rear of the building, built according to the original plans, was not added until 1932.
The red brick Alexander Crummell School is two stories high, three bays wide with high English basement and full attic within a steeply pitched standing seam metal roof. Square in plan, each elevation is bilaterally symmetrical in composition with a central pavilion flanked by single classroom bays. Entrances are located in these central pavilions in the nearly identical northeast and southeast elevations, the former for girls and the latter for boys. The girls' entrance serves as the primary entrance and the southeast facade, facing Gallaudet Street, is the principal facade. There is no separate public entrance. Stylized classical portico, placed approximately on-grade midway between the basement and first story, occur at both entrances. Rusticated square brick columns and pilasters with stone bases and caps support stone entablatures and second-story brick masonry parapet walls with stone caps and sills. "GIRLS' is chiseled into the southeast portico frieze and "CRUMMELL SCHOOL 1912' is pin-lettered to the parapet wall. A broad bank of windows extends fully upward from the portico, terminating just below the building cornice. The northeast portico is similar in design, though less pronounced. Here an intermediate decorative brick panel the confines the entrance fenestration to the second story level. "BOYS' is chiseled into the portico frieze. The Alexander Crummell School graduated its last class in 1972.
DC Inventory: May 23, 2002
National Register: July 25, 2003