Designed by the firm of Cope and Stewardson and built from 1904- 1908, it occupies the entire block between E and D Streets, 13-1/2 and 14th Streets, south of Pennsylvania Avenue. The base of the building is of grey granite from Blue Hill, Maine; the upper stories are of white marble from South Dover, New York. Above the first story, the building opens into a light court on the south or rear elevation, and thus takes a U-shaped form, Of wall-bearing construction, the building is 5 stories high plus basement and sub-basement.
The principal or north entrance facade is symmetrically designed with a great central portal and two slightly projecting end pavilions. The ground story is of smooth granite block with rectangular inset windows separated from the first story by a belt course which continues around the building. The first story is of chamfered rusticated courses with rectangular fenestration; the windows have square, key stoned lintels.
Built 1904-08 (Cope & Stewardson, architects)
DC listing November 8, 1964
National Register listing March 16, 1972