Dupont Circle Historic District is roughly bounded by Rhode Island Avenue, M, and N Streets on the south, Florida Avenue on the west, Swann Street on the north, and the Sixteenth Street HD on the east. It is among the city's most elegant historic residential neighborhoods, notable for superior examples of Victorian rowhouse architecture in Queen Anne and Richardsonian Romanesque styles, as well as some of the city's finest turn-of-the-century mansions in Beaux Arts, Chateauesque, Renaissance, and Georgian Revival styles.
It has served as the home of many prominent and affluent Washingtonians, as well as foreign legations. Many prominent local and national architects are represented in this unusually rich and varied streetscape. Dupont Circle serves as the centerpiece of many of the diagonal L'Enfant avenues. The district also includes fine examples of early apartments, 1920s commercial buildings along Connecticut Avenue, modest working-class dwellings, stables, and carriage houses. Approximately 3100 buildings c. 1875‑1931 make up the district.
DC designation: June 17, 1977
National Register listing: July 21, 1978
DC designation expanded June 30, 1983 (effective January 4, 1985) and February 24, 2005 (effective May 22, 2005)
National Register listing expanded February 6, 1985 and June 10, 2005