The East Capitol Street Car Barn building, was erected as a car barn, repair shop, and administrative offices for the Metropolitan Railroad Company in 1896. It is an architecturally imposing structure representing three important stages in the history of the rapid transit system: (1) the electrification of Washington streetcars and the final replacement of horse- drawn cars in the 1890's (2) the consolidation of streetcar lines into a functional network in the early 20th century (3) the gradual replacement of the streetcar by the bus in the first half of the 20th century.
This red brick structure with Romanesque Revival detailing occupies almost an entire block in northeast Washington. It has two main sections: first, the narrow office block at the south. Second, the car house consisting of three sheds attached to the north side of the office section. The north shed begins at the west wall of the building. Due to this shed's shorter length, the building has an L-shaped plan and the northeast corner is occupied by an open yard.
DC designation: March 27, 1973
National Register listing: February 5, 1974