The structure is bounded by North Carolina Avenue on the north, 7th Street on the east and C Street on the south. The original brick masonry structure was completed in 1873; an addition extending the building to the north was completed in 1908. A "Farmers' Line" or covered shed (which runs the length of the building) is located outside
the market on the 7th Street side.
One of three remaining public markets constructed on a model market plan developed by the city's premier post-Civil War architect, Adolph Cluss. Eastern Market is a notable achievement in the development of modern, clean, and efficient public services which spurred development of commercial and residential growth in the area. The Market has long been an important element in the Capitol Hill community providing not only a specialized neighborhood market, but a gathering place for residents. The 1872 addition is a notable work of the Office of the Building Inspector.
DC listing: November 8, 1964
DC designation of interiors: August 21, 1991 (includes North Hall, Center Hall, and South Hall with stairhall, "apartments," Market Master's Office on mezzanine, and basement)
National Register listing: May 27, 1971, supplemented March 24, 1995