Multi-family dwellings had been slower to gain acceptance in Washington than in other cities like Boston, New York, and Chicago, but once accepted, apartment buildings became a major component of the city’s architectural fabric and heritage. The Euclid was built in 1919-20 by owner Howard M. Etchison, among the most prominent of Washington’s early-20th century developers. The architect was Claughton West, who designed more than 600 houses and 40 apartment buildings in his long career. The six-story corner building displays classical Italianate facades of variegated brown brick with limestone trim and an elaborate modillioned cornice. The two-level lobby is also notable for its exceptional herringbone terra cotta floor.
DC Inventory: September 24, 2009
National Register: April 29, 2010