Evans-Tibbs House

Evans-Tibbs House is an historic house in the Shaw neighborhood of Washington, D.C. It has been listed on the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites since 1985 and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.

The Evans-Tibbs house is located at 1910 Vermont Avenue, N.W. near the northeast corner of the intersection of Vermont Avenue and Tenth Street, N.W. The house was constructed in 1894-1895 by Richard E. Crump. The structure's simplified Victorian styling is similar to that of residential row structures built in the nation's capital at the close of the 19th Century. The house is a two-story, pressed brick, flat-roofed structure. The property is enclosed by a three foot (3') high wrought iron fence with hairpin railings intersected by arrowhead rods.

From 1904 until her death, this was the home of Lillian Evans Tibbs (1890‑1967), who became the one of the first internationally acclaimed African-American opera singers under the stage name Madame Evanti. During the 1920s, she became the first African-American to perform with an organized European opera company. In the 1930s, she performed at the White House for Eleanor Roosevelt and served as a Goodwill Ambassador to South America. In 1942, she helped found the Negro National Opera Company. The two-story brick rowhouse, designed by architect R.E. Crump, was built in 1894; Madame Evanti added decorative iron railings with stylized harps or lyres in a 1932 remodeling.

DC designation March 20, 1985
National Register listing September 8, 1987
Contributing property in the Greater U Street Historic District

Images

Map

1910 Vermont Avenue, NW