Constructed in 1801-1804 and designed by architect, Nicholas King, The Evermay is a Federal-style mansion built by Samuel Davidson, a real estate speculator and owner. He, along with David Burns, owned land occupied by the White House and Lafayette Park.
The main block of Evermay is a five-bay, 2½ story Flemish-bond brick house with three dormer windows and a gabled slate roof with four interior end chimneys. The property also features extensive formal gardens. Evermay was remodeled 1811-1818, Victorianized in 1877, restored to its Federal appearance in 1923 and given additions in 1961.
DC designation: November 8, 1964
National Register listing: April 3, 1973