The exterior building material is stone, the majority of which is Pennsylvania Foxcroft, laid in coursed rubble. With the exception of those with fanlights and dormers, all windows are flanked by paneled shutters and surmounted by flat stone lintels with radiating voussoirs and prominent keystones. The main roof is covered with asbestos shingle, and the subordinate roofs are covered with slate. All three roofs of the structure are defined by pedimented gable ends.
The building is significant for its association with the lives of President and Mrs. Herbert C. Hoover. The primary motivation for constructing the meetinghouse was to provide services for Hoover, the first Quaker elected president of the United States. Mrs. Hoover played a key role in influencing the design of the meetinghouse. A secondary level of importance comes from the building's link with Mary Vaux Walcott, noted painter of wildflowers, geographer, and philanthropist. Mrs. Walcott, a close friend of the Hoovers, was an influential founder of the the Friends Meeting of Washington who personally raised the money for the purchase of a meetinghouse site.
The Meeting House is significant for embodying the distinctive characteristics of a type of construction and for representing the work of a master. With its rectangular, stone form, dual entrances, and simple detailing, the building is a fine representation of a traditional American Quaker meetinghouse design.
Built 1930 (Walter F. Price, architect)
DC listing November 8, 1964
National Register listing September 6, 1990