At five-stories and twenty-units, the Gladstone and Hawarden Apartment Buildings are examples of a Conventional Mid-Rise Apartment Building. At the present date, they are recognized as the first documented twin apartment buildings constructed in Washington, D.C.
The Gladstone and the Hawarden were built by George S. Cooper in 1900 and 1901, respectively, in the Renaissance Revival style. Cooper, an outstanding local architect responsible for many of Washington's apartment buildings, responded economically to the housing need by constructing duplicate designs. The Gladstone and Hawarden were among the first apartment buildings designed to attract Washington's middle-class to this building type. Individually and as a group, Cooper's buildings represent significant changes in patterns of middle-class residential preferences that established apartment living as socially acceptable.
The Gladstone, at 1423 R Street, N.W., was constructed in 1900. The Hawarden, at
1419 R Street, N.W., was built the following year. The freestanding buildings face south on R Street, and are separated by a grass area. The Gladstone is sited on the northeast corner of R and Johnson Streets. The Gladstone and the Hawarden are twin buildings of the Victorian era using motifs associated with the Renaissance Revival style.