A remnant of the original line kilns was restored in 1967 by the National Park Service. The highest remaining segment of the walls stands approximately 16 to 18 feet high. Made of stone, the structure is shaped roughly as delineated below, with brick arched opening located on both sides of the structure arms projected towards Rock Creek Parkway.
Manufacture and sale of line at this site was conducted from 1864 to 1907. At the peak of development, the kilns consisted of four oven structures and an assortment of wooden sheds and structures built up around them. The entire operation was perched on the edge of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. By the 1960s the entire location had changed with the end of the Canal's use and its termination several hundred yards from the the kilns. All wooden structures disappeared after the 1907 disbanding of operations at the site, and two of the four ovens were removed to make room for the highway ramps leading from the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway to the Whitehurst Freeway. As a result of this work the grade elevation was raised about five feet and the main fire doors for the two remaining ovens were covered over.
The Godey Lime Kilns were an important part of the thriving mid-19th Century commercial life of Georgetown. The manufacture and sale of lime at this site was conducted from 1864 to 1907. The lime industry can be traced back as far as 1830 in the Washington area, and William H. Godey started his lime business in another location in about 1858 and moved to the present kilns in 1§6U; the address was then known as 27th and L Streets, N.W. Godey was in partnership with John A. Rheim in 1865 and 1866 , and then he was on his own until his death in 1873 After Godey's death his family continued to operate the kilns. In 1897 the business was taken over by John McL. Dodson who operated the kilns until 1907 when the kilns were closed.
DC designation May 22, 1973
National Register listing November 2, 1973