The site itself lies within the northeastern portion of the park, along the western edge there is a dog grave, play area, tennis court and two small maintenance houses. The dog grave was part of a parcel of land donated by Elizabeth Mitchell, upon her death, to the City of Washington, for use as a park.The site consists of a house foundation that correlates with one indicated on 19th century maps; one trash pit; at least one cellar; and parts of two outbuildings. The diagnostic artifacts indicate occupation from at least the late 18th century, and possibly earlier.
This house was originally built by Anthony Holmead in circa 1795 after he inherited 56 acres of land known as Widow's Mite, from his uncle, an Englishman, also named Anthony Holmead. The house was occupied by the family for one hundred and seven years, and stood for 134 years. The German Government owned the property for a number of years in the 20th century, and in 1929 they demolished the house.
The land was owned as early as 1632 but the first known development dates to 1795, soon after the establishment of the Federal City. Anthony Holmead, who owned extensive lands in the area, owned the tract then known as "Widow's Mite", located adjacent to the City of Washington, which upon his death passed to his nephew, also Anthony Holmead. The younger Holmead then sold part of this tract, which extended from approximately 17th Street NW to Rock Creek, to Gustavus Scott who in turn sold it to Joel Barlow. Barlow named his tract Kalorama, the name of the present day neighborhood. On the land that he still owned, Holmead built a two-story brick house.
DC designation: April 27, 1986
National Register listing: April 27, 1995