The Stoddard Baptist Home, known historically as Ingleside, is a skillful example of the Italian Villa style with numerous formal details.Built in the early 1850s, Ingleside has had a distinguished architect and ownership history. Throughout its 135 years, the house has been occupied by prominent citizens or charitable organizations.
It is the design of an architect of major significance in American architecture, Thomas Ustick Walter. The two-story main house block of the mansion features a shallow hipped roof with bracketed eaves, a large square tower at its southwest corner, and ample arcade porches. A two-story wing to the east, wrapped on two sides by an arcade porch is also part of the original structure. Walls are of brick, uniformly covered by pebble-dash stucco and the roof is made of tin. Although the original structure retains much of its earlier character, the building has undergone a number of changes through years of individual and institutional ownership. A large addition to the west facade has just been completed; this new wing is a long brick structure which simulates the neighborhood's rhythmic row house facades and red brick materials.
Built c. 1850 (Thomas U. Walter, architect)
DC designation June 7, 1979
National Register listing January 8, 1987