Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

The red brick Italianate house was built in 1860, and from 1860-1888 was the residence of Dr. Peter Parker. From 1888 to 1908, it was the home of the Bureau of Pan American Republics.

The first national headquarters of the Endowment was established in Washington, at No. 2 (now No. 700) Jackson Place, a red brick town house with Italianate detail built in 1860. The house was "well adapted and admirably located" for the purposes of peace, close to the "Ear of Congress" as Carnegie wished. The Endowment occupied the house until 1948, when national headquarters was moved to New York City. From 1910 until 1948, this town house served as the national headquarters of the organization founded with a $10 million bequest from Andrew Carnegie. At its benefactor’s direction, the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace was located “at the Ear of Congress,” with the aim to “hasten the abolition of war, the foulest blot upon our civilization.”

National Historic Landmark: May 30, 1974
National Register: September 13, 1974
DC Inventory: March 3, 1979
Located within Lafayette Square Historic District

Images

Map

700 Jackson Place, NW