The three story, ten-room Pennsylvania Dutch farmhouse style structure was built of blue and grey granite. The stonework is in good condition and, except for superficial touches, it remains as built. The stone walls are 2V thick and the stone arch and tower in front of the entrance show no signs of deterioration. A two story veranda on the south side has an iron railing of scroll work in a grape design.
The interior of the building has been somewhat modified with plaster, paint and a heating system. Poplar paneling on the stairwell and most of the mantelpiece remain. An enormous fireplace, 6' long and V high with a beehive oven built into the wall beside it, was uncovered by PWA workers in 1937.
LInnaean Hill, built in l823, by Joshua Pierce was named in honor of the Swedish botanist Karl Van Linnaeus, because the area was so conducive to the raising and growing of shrubs and flowers. The Pierces were extremely interested in horticulture and,shortly after establishing their home at Linnaean Hill, developed it into one of the most beautiful garden spots in the city. Joshua Pierce also introduced box gardens to Washington. He supplied the first ornamental plantings for the White House, the Capitol and other government buildings and parks. Pierce also maintained the first general nursery in Washington. Linnaean Hill also became a gathering place for some of Washington's society, notably Daniel Webster, John C. Calhoun, and Henry Clay.
DC listing November 8, 1964
National Register listing October 10, 1973