This lockkeeper’s house is the only remnant of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Extension, which was built in 1832‑33 to connect the C&O Canal (begun in 1828, and originating at Rock Creek) to the Washington City Canal (built from 1802 to 1815, and leading from the Potomac at 17th Street to the Anacostia). The extension was intended to ensure that the city would benefit from commerce along the major canals. The house is a simple 1½-story fieldstone building (originally 2 ½ stories) with a shingled roof and end chimneys. It fell into disuse by 1855, and was converted for park purposes in 1903. Originally located west and north of its present location, the building was moved in 1915 as Seventeenth Street was extended across West Potomac Park; it was restored to its present condition in the 1930s.
DC designation: November 8, 1964
National Register listing: November 30, 1973