Architect Judson York originally designed the church but after his plans were deemed too expensive, architects John C. Harkness and Henry S. Davis took over. The Church features a triangular form, robust massing with a large octagonal tower facing the circle, smaller side towers, and buttressed facades of quarry-faced red sandstone. Inside is a fan-shaped auditorium with wooden ceiling arches, cast iron columns, Gothic tracery, and stained glass.
The Church was built 1870‑1873 for the Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church. The Church was dedicated in 1874 and the towers were completed in the early 1880s. A bronze statue of Martin Luther was erected 1884. After a 1904 fire, the Church underwent repairs and subsequent interior alterations. Then in 1951 the parish house was built, using the designs of architect Luther M. Leisenring, on the site of Memorial Hall.
DC listing: November 8, 1964
National Register listing: July 16, 1973