McMillan Park Reservoir

1st Street and Michigan Avenue, NW

Washington's first water treatment facility and a primary component of the municipal water system. The Reservoir was a major engineering and aesthetic achievement, which caused elimination of typhoid epidemics and reduced incidence of other diseases. It serves as a major component of the city's park system and as a symbol of the collaborative effort of prominent figures in the City Beautiful movement. It is a memorial to Senator James McMillan, sponsor of the Senate Park Commission.

New City Reservoir: Built 1883-88 to receive Potomac River water via the Washington Aqueduct and Georgetown Reservoir (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, architects)

Smith Spring House: Built 1886 to cover the site of springs identified by L'Enfant and used as a water source for the U.S. Capitol beginning in 1833 (T.W. Symons, architect)

East Shaft Gate House: Built 1901 (Henry A. Macomb, architect)

Filtration Complex (Pumping Station, Circulating Conduit, Gatehouse, Intake Gatehouse, Control House, Laboratory, Shelter House, Engine House, Regulator Houses, Filtration Beds, Sand Washers, Sand Bins, and Clear Water Reservoir): Unified complex of red brick buildings, Flemish bond with tile roofs, and more utilitarian concrete structures. It includes underground slow sand purification system advocated by the city's medical community in preference to chemical treatment. Built 1904‑05 (Allen Hazen, architect)

McMillan Park: Built 1906‑13 (Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., landscape architect)

Storehouse, Shelter House and Garage: Built 1911

McMillan Fountain: Erected 1913 (Herbert Adams, sculptor; Charles Adams Platt, architect; dismantled 1941)

Chemical Tower, Flume Building, and Gatehouse: Built 1939

DC designation: August 21, 1991

Images

Map

1st Street and Michigan Avenue, NW