The house is a very good example of the Beaux Arts style of architecture popular at the turn of the century in the houses built on Massachusetts Avenue. The house was built in 1906 for Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Moore and remained in the possession of Mrs. Moore (who later became Mrs. Wichfeld) until 1927 when it was purchased by the Canadian government for use as an embassy. The excellent interiors of the house have been wellpreserved, especially the southeast dining room with its carvings in the style of "Grinling Gibbons". This room is modeled on the interiors of William Stanton's Belton House at Grantham, England (1685-8) where work by Gibbons (1648-1720), one of the greatest woodcutters in history, can be seen.
The house was built by Mrs. Mabel Swift Moore, a Swift family heiress, whose husband Clarence was killed when the Titanic sank. The Moores commissioned the firm of Price and deSibour to design the house. Bruce Price (1843-1903) was deceased by the time the house was built so it is probable that J.H. deSibour (1872-1938) was in charge of the design. DeSibour was born in France and raised in the United States; he attended Yale and then returned to France for his architectural training at the Ecole des Beaux Arts. He had many commissions in Washington including the Folger Building. Mrs. Moore later married Aksel Wichfeld, a banker and sportsman, and in 1927 sold the house to the Canadian government.
Built 1906-09; Moore perished in Titanic in 1912
DC designation February 22, 1972
National Register listing April 3, 1973