The Mount Vernon Triangle Historic District consists of a tight-knit group of 25 residential, commercial and light-industrial buildings located in the Mount Vernon Triangle neighborhood in Washington, D.C. Mount Vernon Triangle is a contemporary designation for that triangular area of the city that is located to the east of Mount Vernon Square and that is bounded on the north by New York Avenue, on the south by Massachusetts Avenue, on the east by New Jersey Avenue, and on the west by 7th Street, N.W. This area is part of a larger section of the city commonly referred to as the East End. The area evolved from extremely modest pre-Civil War beginnings of scattered wood frame dwellings occupied by poor residents to a more stable, but still working-class neighborhood of brick, residential, commercial and light-industrial buildings of the late 19th-early 20th century reflecting a variety of architectural styles, ranging from Italianate to Queen Anne. In the mid-20th century, Mount Vernon Triangle became a more strictly commercial and industrial area of single-story stores, and vernacular industrial automobile related businesses, including repair facilities and gasoline stations.
The collection of historic buildings provides a visual reminder of the types and scale of homes and businesses that were erected by members of this community—working class entrepreneurs of mixed backgrounds, including a sizeable German and Italian immigrant population, many with ties to the local merchant community. The district also includes archaeological resources and buildings documenting the beginnings of automobile service businesses. In this Historic District there are 24 contributing buildings from 1873-1946.
DC designation: November 17, 2005, (effective March 26, 2006)
National Register listing: September 19, 2006