Old Engine Company No. 10

Engine House 10 was erected in 1894-95 to serve the Stanton Park neighborhood, the northern portion of Capitol Hill, and the emerging suburban subdivisions of Trinidad and Ivy City.

One of a series of eight District firehouses designed by Leon Dessez, it was similar to his since-demolished Engine House 11 of 1895 and is probably the best and most characteristic example of a Victorian-era firehouse still owned by the District. The front pedestrian entrance between two vehicle bays was typical of these stations, and the brick facade with limestone and terra cotta trim was common to those built in the mid-1880s through mid-1890s.

DC designation January 24, 2008
National Register listing November 19, 2008
DC ownership

Images

Map

1341 Maryland Avenue, NE