Platted in the mid-1870s, Woodley Park was originally conceived to be a residential suburb which its promoters described as the finest country seats ever offered for sale near the urban center, a mere 20 minute walk from Dupont Circle. Construction in Woodley Park did not begin until the early 20th century. As the subdivision evolved, it became an urban neighborhood characterized by townhouses and rowhouses set within a lush park-like setting. The architecture, the repetition of common stylistic elements, the scale of the buildings, and landscape plan, which are consistent within the traditional boundaries of Old Woodley Park, give the district a distinct visual identity.
The neighborhood features flat-fronted houses in classical styles predominately, with front porches and light-toned materials common. There are many commercial and apartment buildings along Connecticut Avenue.
Within the historic district are the works of many notable local architects and builders including: Middaugh and Shannon, Harry Wardman, Clarke Waggaman, Albert Beers, A.H. Sonnemann, Hunter and Bell, William Allard, Joseph Bonn, and George Santmyers.
The district includes approximately 395 buildings, c. 1905 1938.
DC designation: April 18, 1990 (effective June 11, 1990)
National Register listing: June 15, 1990