Saint John's Church is known as the "Church of the Presidents" due to its close proximity to the White House and its tradition of every President since James Madison attending at least one service there. There is also a pew prayer book that has been signed by every President since FDR when they have attended inauguration services at the Church. The basic structure, much the same as at the time of the original construction and subsequent major enlargement, is of brick and yellow stucco with white trim. Twenty-seven handsome memorial windows adorn the building.
Architect Benjamin Latrobe designed Saint John's in addition to other infamous buildings in the neighborhood. Saint John's Church was completed in 1816 and serves as a notable example of late Federal architecture. The Church was designed to mirror a Greek cross but later changes to the structure altered the design. Additions and alterations were made to the building in 1820-1822, 1836-1869, 1883, 1919-1920, and 1950-1951.
National Historic Landmark: December 19, 1960
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register listing: October 15, 1966