The red-brick, High Victorian church designed in 1888 by T. Buckler Chequier combines Romanesque elements with Gothic verticality and has a particularly distinguished interior with exposed brick walls and timbered roofing. The chancel which is several steps higher than the nave has tile flooring with religious symbols. the rest of the church except the entrance vestibules has wooden floors. Each of the seven bays of the nave and chancel have two hammer beam trusses, one with tie beams and one without. The timber trusses of the aisles' roofs are also exposed. First floor features include vertical paneling to the dado, a massive newel post, and paneled doors with trim.
Between 1940 and 1950 Saint Mark's faced new problems as members moved to the suburbs and resources dwindled. Many of the newer residents of the Capitol Hill area had no relation to the church at all. In 1954, a number of churchmen determined to revitalize the church, rant than let it be closed. To do so, they turned to the Capitol Hill community seeking ways to serve life as they found it there and so restore the parish's life. Some of their lasting legacies are the still existing ministry to the deaf and other ministries like Head Start in addition to pastoral counseling.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register: May 8, 1973
Within Capitol Hill HD