It depicts Sheridan at the end of his famous ride to Winchester, Virginia. The eleven foot statue stands on rocky ground, creating an unusual placement of the horse's legs as he tries to find footing on the uneven ground where he has been brought to a sudden stop. The active dramatic use of the horse and rider convey a sense of the power of the animal and the commanding presence of the general who waves his hat at arms length behind him to rally the retreating troops. The statue and pedestal sit on a raised granite platform surrounded by a low wall and approached from the east and west by six low steps. Hidden pools located on both sides of the granite platform are supplied with water from small lion heads. The Army of the Cumberland donated the statue, Congress paid for the erection of the pedestal and the preparation of the site. It was erected under an Act approved March 2, 1889 (25 Stat. 971) at a cost of $54,000 and dedicated November 25, 1908. The statue is located in the center of Sheridan Circle which is at the intersection of Massachusetts Ave., N.W. and 23rd St.,N.W., Reservation 57A in Northwest Washington.
Erected 1908 (Gutzon Borglum, sculptor; Henry Winslow, architect)
Added to the National Register: September 20, 1978