Takoma Park Historic District contains approximately 160 contributing buildings c. 1883‑1940. It is an area of more than 25 squares in the northwest sector of the District of Columbia that served as the first commuter suburb in the area and was originally located on approximately 100 acres of land around the B&O Railroad tracks. It was founded and developed as a suburb by Benjamin F. Gilbert in 1883 but Gilbert chose to ignore jurisdictional lines and the original town of Takoma Park thus is located in the District of Columbia, Prince George's and Montgomery Counties, Maryland.
Takoma Park is significant for the quality of its architecture. The suburb was planned with large detached houses set back from the building line and villas and cottages designed in the manner of Jackson's pattern book houses with verandas, large lawns, and privacy. The major architectural styles represented in takoma are the Stick and Shingle styles, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival and the Bungalow. The earliest houses were Stick and Shingle styles and Victorian Cottage styles.
Economic changes throughout the twentieth century resulted in scaled down lots and smaller houses. In large part, these structures are characterized by delightful variations of the bungalows constructed 1900 and 1925, are set back from the street and are not discordant elements but rather maintain the rhythm and low scale of the detached single family houses which characterize the suburb.
DC Inventory: September 18, 1980 (effective November 28, 1980)
National Register: June 30, 1983