The monument is in the form of a granite temple sheltering a drinking fountain in the form of bronze dolphins on a granite pedestal. A bronze water crane stands on the roof, above inscriptions exhorting faith, hope, charity, and temperance. The fountain was erected about 1880 and was originally cooled by ice and included a horse-watering trough.
DC Inventory: February 22, 2007
National Register: October 12, 2007
Within Downtown HD and Pennsylvania Avenue NHS