The three-story brick house built about 1853-1857 for Margaret Wetzel is one of a few free-standing houses to survive from the once fashionable West End residential neighborhood.
The façade is Italianate, with a bracketed cornice and stone window hoods with fan and floral motifs, but the flattened gable roof, attic treatment of the third floor, and Greek key belt course show continued Greek Revival influence.
George Washington University purchased the house in 1931 as part of a major expansion effort.
DC designation: November 18, 1987
National Register listing: October 25, 1990