The Alibi Club was founded in 1884 by seven Washingtonians as a private social club and has included many well-known political and social figures among its membership. Since 1886 the club has occupied the brick row house which survives as a rare example of the
early architecture which once typified its immediate neighborhood.
The significance of the property is chiefly tied to its rich social history as one of city's oldest and most important private clubs and for its well-preserved architecture.
The merit of the collective social history of the club is presented as eligible rather than an association with individual members who have been recognized for their achievements and contributions elsewhere. Further, accurate records of individual member activities reinforce the position that the social history of the club is the basis for its eligibility.
Since 1886, the building has housed the Alibi Club, one of
Washington's most elite men's social clubs. Designed as a
single family residence and constructed between 1864 and 1869, this property has continuously served as a retreat for members who often played major roles in national and foreign affairs. They include important diplomatic figures, politicians, military, corporate, and civic leaders. The Club's continuous occupation of 1806 Eye Street since 1886 is especially notable among such
institutions in Washington and adds to its history and
The club was organized in 1884 by seven distinguished
Washingtonians: Marcellus Bailey, B. H. Buckingham, W. C. Charlton, John Davis, David Jones, Linden Kent, and Dr. Francis B. Loring. Marcellus Bailey, who is purported to have been the leader, was the son of the famous editor of that day, Dr. Gamaliel Bailey, who owned and published the National Era Weekly News, the paper which first presented "Uncle Tom's Cabin" in serial form.
DC designation: June 17, 1992
NR listing: October 21, 1994