Tiber Island

1262 6th Street, SW

Tiber Island, designed by Keyes, Lethbridge and Condon and completed in 1965, was part of the nation’s first Urban Renewal project. As part of the premier project, Tiber Island was considered a model for the rest of the country for its role in redeveloping Southwest Washington and was also an early example of condominiums. In 1966 the complex received an AIA Honor Award and Fortune Magazine included Tiber Island on its list of the ten best buildings in the United States.

The development consists of four nine-story towers containing 368 apartments forming a pinwheel focused on a large open plaza. Eighty-five townhouses of two and three stories face into the complex. Eric Paepcke designed the landscape of the modernist brick and concrete development.

Nominated by the Southwest Neighborhood Assembly and designated: May 24, 2012.

Images

Map

401-461 N Street, 430-490 M Street, 1201-1264 4th Street, and 1262 6th Street, SW