The Main Sewerage Pumping Station is a remarkable example of a high-style public works project that is a direct manifestation of the City Beautiful Movement. Architecturally, the building is a striking 2-1/2-story brick building designed in a robust Beaux Arts manner reflecting late Renaissance Revival-style features. Though it was constructed between 1904 and 1907, its inception dates back to 1889 when the president appointed a board of sanitary engineers to devise a plan for disposal of Washington’s sewage. Nearly a decade later, implementation of the sanitation system proposed by the board was begun, and planning for the pumping station was underway.
Designed by the architectural firm of C.A. Didden and Son with associated architect Oscar Vogt, the Main Pumping Station is one of the first buildings the city constructed following the adoption of the McMillan Plan and is an early and exceptional representative of Beaux Arts public works buildings in the District. Nominated by the DC Preservation League.
DC Inventory: January 26, 2012.