Designed by noted local architect Jules Henri de Sibour, the Beaux Arts Hamilton Hotel opened in 1922. The eleven-story limestone and terra cotta building offered out-of-town guests and locals meeting rooms, a gracious dining room, and a cocktail lounge known as the Rainbow Room. The generous public spaces became important gathering places for a larger community of union labor leaders. William Green, president of the American Federation of Labor from 1924 to 1952, lived at the Hamilton. The hotel is significant for its association with the history of the labor movement and the community of labor leaders living and working in Washington from the 1920s through the 1960s.
DC designation: November 29, 2012.
National Register: April 17, 2013