Grace Church was an important mission church, helping establish at least three more congregations in the next half-century. In 1924, the Ohio Synod endorsed the idea of a new home for Grace Church to serve as its representative church in the national capital and a potential force on moral issues. To that end, other congregations contributed to the construction, which began in 1926 and finished two years later.
The rock-faced limestone building was designed by Rochester native J.W.C. Corbusier, a Beaux-Arts-trained church architect. It is dominated by a massive central tower and exhibits many of the characteristic details of the neo-Gothic, including lancet windows, quatrefoils, crenelation, pinnacles, and a timber-framed roof.
DC designation: May 23, 2013