Capitol Park Towers was the first and largest residential complex in the Southwest area and fashioned as a model planning project whose innovative combination of high-rise and low-rise buildings, arranged around a network of landscaped courts and walkways, represented a new prototype for residential Washington. Architect Chloethiel Woodard Smith, then a founding partner with Nicholas Satterlee in the architectural firm Satterlee and Smith Architects, helped plan Capitol Park as a community with a variety of housing types consisting of 1339 rental units contained in five nine-story apartment buildings and 399 townhouses. Although built in stages, the complex was designed as a unified whole and best known for its park-like atmosphere.
With landscape design by Dan Kiley, mosaics by Leo Lionni and sculptures by Costantino Nivoli, Capitol Park exemplifies the integration of modern architecture, artwork, and landscape in a city with few notable examples of the style. In 1973, Capitol Park was subdivided into five separate developments. Capitol Park Apartments (now known as Potomac Place), the first high-rise building to be completed, was designated as a historic landmark in the D.C. Inventory of Historic Sites in 2003.
DC Inventory: July 10, 2014.