The Samuel Bryan House was built in 1885 and designed by architect, W. Bruce Gray. Samuel Bryan worked in various capacities, starting at age 15 when he served as a drummer boy in the Union Army during the Civil War. From there, he went on to work at the Treasury Department, the Post Office Department, the Universal Postal Congress on behalf of Japan, and then eventually he became the President of the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company, a position in which he served until 1889. After this time, Bryan moved out of Washington but it is unknown where he went or when he died.
In 1895, the house was sold to Washington philanthropist, Bessie J. Kibbey. She added a third story to the existing back of the building in 1904. The Church of the Saviour bought the house in 1950 and added a one story addition to the rear while also adding partitions on the third floor among other changes to convert the building from a residence to a church and offices.
The solid, dark building dominates nearby structures. There is no superfluous ornamentation to distract from the strong influence of the tower, entrance portal and building height. Romanesque in detail, individual and linear elements are defined by boldly articulated materials and shapes. The interior, though more decorative, is related in style to the exterior. The single greatest elements are the central living halls and galleried stair. Similar details used throughout unify the chambers.
DC designation: February 22, 1972