Hilleary Burrows House is a 2-1/2 story Queen Anne style dwelling situated on a trapezoidal quarter-acre lot at the intersection of 46th Street and River Road. The building occupies a prominent location next to Fort Bayard Park and is one of the most visible and best-preserved homes in the area. The house dates to 1897 and was designed by H. Galloway Ten Eyck, a prominent Newark, New Jersey architect, who published two editions of residential designs.
As one of the original structures in American University Park, Burrows House is an exemplar of the middle-class residences erected in the metropolitan Washington suburbs in the mid 1890s. This house is also considered the only documented example of a Victorian pattern book house in the city.
The house was built for Tenleytown resident Hilleary T. Burrows, a member of the long-established Burrows family in Tenleytown. Burrows was one of the first to buy a lot and build a house in the newly laid American University Park subdivision. The subdivision of American University Park coincided with the passage of the District of Columbia’s 1897 Permanent Highway Plan which laid the framework for streets beyond the L’Enfant Plan and is indicative of the suburbanization of rural land outside the city.
DC designation: August 23, 2001
National Register listing: June 27, 2011