The current Atlantic Building is a 10-story office structure completed in 2006, standing on a the same city block as the historic Ford's Theatre. The preserved facades of the turn of the century buildings previously occupying these lots form the face of the 2006 structure. The tallest facade belongs to one of the first high rise buildings constructed in DC, the namesake 1888 Atlantic Building.
Built as an office structure, the 1888 Atlantic Building initially served primarily as a home for attorneys working with patent law. In 1890 the campaign headquarters of Benjamin Harrison were located in the 8th floor assembly rooms, and from 1905 to 1940 the building was occupied by the National Forestry Service. The National Zoo was founded at a meeting held here.
In recent history Washington DC's 930 club began here on the first floor of the old building taking its name from the 930 F Street address, and was located here until few years before the building's demolition. The 930 Club's bar located in the basement level was said to be a haunted remnant of an even older structure which had burned to ruins some time before the construction of the 1888 Atlantic Building.
940 F Street was for many years a Funeral Parlor and Undertaker's establishment, and has this connection to the assassination of Lincoln:
"Mr. Weaver called to his assistance Harvey & Marr, undertakers, of Washington, who went to the Arsenal grounds and exhumed the remains. Edwin Booth accompanied Mr. Weaver from Baltimore, and with Mr. Harvey went to the Arsenal grounds. Mr. W. R. Speare, the present undertaker, at No. 940 F Street, who was then a boy in the employ of Harvey & Marr, drove the furniture wagon that brought the remains of Booth to the alley in the rear of Ford's Theater, almost to the very door from which he started on the night of April 14, 1865." -- THE ASSASSINATION OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN Flight, Pursuit, Capture, and Punishment of the Conspirators , 1901