Built in 1836, Ashburton House served as a home for British diplomats and was the site of 10 months of U.S.-British negotiations that eventually led to the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842. It is currently used as offices and meeting space for St. John's Church. The building has been highly renovated, but still includes original details like the six marble- and one wood-mantled fireplaces, four floor-length marble columns on the first floor, and lintels above the doors.
The Ashburton House, or the British Legation as it had come to be known, was the scene of 10 months of negotiations resulting in the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842, This agreement resolved the long-standing dispute with Great Britain over major segments of the boundary with Canada. Diplomatic historian Samuel Bemis called this dispute "one of the gravest and most inveterate diplomatic issues of the United States in the generation following the War of 1812." In addition, these negotiations saw the United States protect and respect the rights of the States in international affairs.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register Nomination: November 7, 1973
NHL designation: November 7, 1973
Within Lafayette Square HD